October 29, 2011

Feeling a little homesick?


During the first two weeks of living away from home, I was golden. Orientation Week was going on the first week I arrived, and Frosh Week the second. I was so busy meeting new people and betting my groundings that I didn’t really notice just how far away from my life I was. It wasn’t until things started to die down that it hit me: I was homesick. It’s a weird feeling being away from everything you’ve known for the last 20 years, but I found ways to get around it.

If you are moving out for the first time, whether it is in the same province or halfway across the country, you will probably find that at times you will be a little (or a lot) homesick. Here are my tips:

· Bring lots of pictures!

The majority of decorations in my dorm are pictures. I think I printed off a total of 87 pictures before I left Calgary and I have put every single one of them up.

· Get Skype.

Not all of us can afford a long distance plan, so utilize Skype! It’s a great tool. I love that I can see my friends and family that I’ve been missing. It lets you show off your brand new room to your friends and family (that you have decorated profusely with pictures of them).

· Invest in some stamps.

I know, I know. Writing letters is something of the past and Canada Post takes forever to send them and email is easier and why write letters when you can Skype? Phew. All of this may be true, but I love opening my mailbox and seeing that I received a letter from someone. I write letters to my Grandma and Aunt as another way to keep in touch.

· Bring, or buy, some other decorations to put around your dorm.








(My Batman poster was the best investment I have made since I got here. Other than my education.)

Dorms look like, well, dorms. My room has concrete and brick walls that look anything but homey, but I have put up posters, calendars, and a cute bed spread and pillows so that my room looks less like a residence. You will eventually have to accept the fact that this is your home for the next eight months so you might as well make it look nice!

· Keep yourself busy.

This point is key. You will be busy with school, but find extracurricular activities, make friends, go out! The busier you are, the less you will be thinking about home, and the more you will enjoy yourself, and your new home.

What other things have you incorporated into your dorm so that it looks less dorm-y?

No comments:

Post a Comment